Pickled Fish With Hot Cross Buns
- Pat the fish fillets dry. Lightly dust with the flour mixture and shake off any excess flour. Heat the oil and fry the fish
over medium heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and place in a single layer in a deep dish.
- In the same pan, fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions just start to soften. Add the curry powder, turmeric
and coriander and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the jam, sugar, vinegar, water, bay leaves and seasoning to taste.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes. Pour over the fish. Spread onions out evenly.
- Allow to cool completely before covering with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- The taste will improve if refrigerated for longer (2 days).
- Serve with lightly toasted buttered hot cross buns.