Sweet Pickled Onions
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: under 10 mins
Serves: makes 2 x 500 ml jars
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the onions then put them in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 3–4 minutes, then drain. When cool enough to handle, peel the onions. After peeling, cut a small cross into the root end to stop the centres popping out during cooking.
- Put the vinegars, sugar, salt, pared orange peel, fennel seeds, peppercorns and oil in a large saucepan with 350ml water. Place over a medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the liquid in the pan to a simmer, then add the onions and cook for 6–7 minutes, or until they are tender but still hold their shape. Remove from the heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, pack the onions into the prepared jars and tuck the orange zest and the rosemary or thyme down the side of the jars.
- Return the pan of liquid to the heat and bring to a vigorous boil for a few minutes. Pour the liquid over the onions and fill the jars to the top. Seal immediately with vinegar-proof lids. Turn the jars upside-down for a minute or so before putting them the right-way up and leaving to cool.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. Once opened, keep in the fridge and use within 8 weeks.